Description of School
Hamilton North School caters for students with special needs from 5 to 21 years of age.
We offer functional adapted curriculum designed for students who have needs that cannot met by the regular curriculum.
Hamilton North comprises of a base school plus satellite classes in primary, middle and high schools. This provides students a choice and range of learning environments. With the co-operation of these mainstream schools, classes of Hamilton North students ans staff are located and supported by their host school. It is policy of our school to encourage our students to interact with their peers in mainstream schools and with the community in general. The aim of our integration programme is to foster the social and functional development of our students by joining mainstream classes for specific activities in areas where they can achieve and also by allowing them access to a range of social activities.
The focus of our teaching is to provide Individual Education Programmes (IEPs). They are complied by the classroom teacher in consultation with parents, caregivers and other professionals and supportive services, and are regularly reviewed, evaluated and updated.
Te Totara Satellite
Te Totara Primary School welcomes the Hamilton North Satellite Unit. This is a Special Learning Centre within the primary school. A stand alone unit that comprises of two classrooms.
Your child needs to have ORS funding and be enrolled at Hamilton North School to attend the Satellite.
- Teaching staff with expertise providing Individualised Education Programmes
- Home, school liaison support
- The National Curriculum adapted to individual needs
- Student centered programmes
- Inclusion in the mainstream
- Excellent staff/student ratio
- A wide range of activities including weekly horse riding, swimming, community access and integration
- Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech language Therapy and Psychologist support if needed
- Art and Music specialist programmes
- Multicultural environment
- A Junior and Senior class unit
- Community contact
- Life skills
- On-site kitchen, laundry and showering facilities for Living Skills
- Behaviour management
- Transport from and to home
- A warm and welcoming atmosphere
- Technology networked with host school
- Use of host school facilities
- Supportive environment provides social interaction with peers in the mainstream
- Caring supportive environment
The aim of Hamilton North School is to enable all students to develop their potential with regards to their ability, to foster skills and provide opportunities, which allow them to successfully integrate into our multicultural society.
Hamilton North is a School where students know that:
- Everyone treats each day as a new beginning
- Teamwork is central to our philosophy
- They are valued as unique individuals co-operatively supported by their family and school
- Their potential will be maximised by offering them new challenges and opportunities
- A safe and caring environment is provided
- Their successes will be celebrated
Hamilton North School
Warwick Avenue, Hamilton 3200P O Box 102 60
Phone 07 849 3029