Te Totara Primary School - Growing and Learning Together

SCHOOL NEWSLETTER

THURSDAY 30th SEPTEMBER, 2021

Thank you to all staff, families and our wonderful students for all your hard work and positive interactions over this last term, which was disrupted somewhat by the Covid 19 Delta variant lockdowns.   The way you all responded when change occurred was really supportive and helped us all to deal with this setback in a resilient way.  I have continued to be impressed with our students during and after this time apart. Everyone has settled straight back into their schoolwork and our assessments show the students are continuing to achieve well.  At a time when we often feel anxious and dragged down by ‘Covid fatigue’ with the worry of a future that can look uncertain and different to what we hoped and expected, it is important to gather energy and take heart from the day to day joys that we share by just being with each other.

We have moved some of our curriculum commitments into next term. The Visual Arts exhibition which was scheduled for Week 9 this term will now occur in Week 6 of Term 4. This is a major teaching unit of 4 weeks of learning, culminating in an art piece presented as part of the Art exhibition showcased in each pod.  Our community is always invited to come and wander through the Art attractively displayed in each learning cluster.  The exhibition is now scheduled for Week 6, Tuesday 23 and Wednesday 24 November. More information will come in next term's newsletters.   

We hope that we will be able to return to some normality next term with a Level 1 announcement, if it comes during the holiday break. I will notify you via our School App just prior to the end of the holiday break of what Alert Level school will be returning in.  

For the next two weeks however it is time to unwind, rest and to recharge ready for next term.  I hope you are able to enjoy some slower-paced days with your children.  For those who are exploring other parts of our beautiful country I wish you safe travels and great adventures together.

I look forward to seeing you all again soon in Term 4.

Nga mihi

Anne Fraser - Principal

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

TEACHER ONLY DAY - WEEK 1 TERM 4 (FRIDAY 22 OCTOBER 2021)

An important reminder to all families below….

**  SCHOOL CLOSED ** 

FRIDAY 22ND OCTOBER - Teacher Only Day

MONDAY 25TH OCTOBER - Labour Day Holiday

A reminder school will be CLOSED for these days.

School opens again on Tuesday 26th October, 2021

PHOTOLIFE - SHOOT KEYS DELAYED DUE TO COVID19

Unfortunately, due to Covid19 Level 3 restrictions in Auckland Photolife is unable to return to their office until Level 2 to be able to process the Shoot Keys for our Class & Individual photos that were taken last month.

As soon as we have these keys we will send them home to our families OR they may be emailed directly to the preferred email address we hold on file for your family.  We will keep you up-to-date through our school newsletter.

If you have any queries, please call Photolife direct on 0800 501040.

2022 BOARD OF TRUSTEES ELECTIONS

Board of Trustees elections are coming up in 2022 and we wanted to give everyone plenty of opportunity to think about standing for the Board.   The below links provide a brief guide as to what it entails:

Community Member Guide to the Role of the School Board of Trustees

Further information regarding 2022 Election Dates will be placed in our school newsletter in Term 4.

OUT-OF-ZONE ENROLMENTS PERIOD FOR 2022

Enrolment at the school is governed by an enrolment scheme, details of which are available on our school website www.tetotara.school.nz

The Board has determined that 20 places for New Entrant (Year 1) students, whose 5th Birthday falls within the enrolment period of 15th December 2021 – 30th June 2022 are likely to be available to out-of-zone students.   The exact number of places will depend on the number of applications received from students who live within the school’s home zone.

There will be two 2022 out-of-zone enrolment periods:

The First enrolment period runs from 15th December 2021 – 30th June 2022

The Second enrolment period runs from 1st July 2022 – 15th December 2022

For students seeking enrolment within the first enrolment period of 15th December 2021 - 30th June 2022, the deadline for receipt of out-of-zone applications is tomorrow, Friday 1st October, 2021 @ 3.00pm and should be addressed to:  Te Totara Primary School, PO Box 28134, Hamilton 3256

If the number of out-of-zone applications exceeds the number of places available, students will be selected by ballot supervised by a Justice of the Peace, a Practicing Lawyer or a Police Officer in accordance with Section 11G (1) of the Education Act 1989.

If a ballot for out-of-zone is required, it will be held on Friday 15th October, 2021.  Parents will be informed of the outcome by Wednesday 20th October, 2021.

SCHOOL UNIFORM FOR TERM 4, 2021

We understand families may still be sorting their children's summer uniforms due to the stores being closed and we would appreciate it if your children could please be in the correct full summer school uniform within the first two weeks of Term 4..

ALL students are expected to arrive at school and leave from school in their correct Te Totara Primary School Uniform, including footwear.    

• Uniforms are to be worn clean, neat and tidy. Please clearly name your uniform items.

• Students are encouraged to take pride in their school uniform and to wear it well.

• Hair is to be off the face, tied back if longer than the bottom of the collar, and be the natural hair colour.

• Nail polish and cosmetics are not permitted. 

• Second hand uniforms may be available.  Please see the School Office for details.

• Variations in relation to the Human Rights Act may be negotiated with the Principal.

• All pupils are encouraged to use sunscreen at home before school and expected to wear the regulation school hat while outdoors.  No hat – play in the shade (Terms 1 & 4).

• All uniform items should be clearly named.

• Extras for warmth such as polyprops or singlets, must be plain black.

• Plain black school sandals in summer (Terms 1&4) OR plain black school school shoes in the winter (Terms 2&3).  No other colours on the sandal or shoe, just plain black.

• Any hair accessory is to be plain and of a single school uniform colour – red, white, black, green.

JEWELLERY

Items of jewellery can be easily lost or damaged at school. They may also cause injury to the wearer or other students.  For safety reasons items of jewellery are not to be worn.  The school accepts no responsibility in the case of loss, damage or injury.

However, students may wear:

1. One small earring stud per ear. NO hoops or sleepers.

2. A watch.

3. A necklace of religious or cultural significance – to be worn underneath clothing.

4. A Medical Identification Tag (Medic Alert) if required

TE TOTARA BUCKET SUN HATS - COMPULSORY  TERM 4, 2021

From the beginning of Term 4 ALL children will need to wear their Te Totara Primary School Red Bucket Hat when outside.  These can be purchased through Direct Group, 6 Latham Court, Hamilton (off Kahikatea Drive) Phone (07) 847-6664.

Our Sun Sense Policy is:  No hat – play in the shade.

SPARE CLOTHING FOR OUR SICK BAY

Can you help…. we are desperately in need of some clean spare clothing for our sick bay.  In particular, we need skorts and black shorts of all sizes. If you are happy to donate any spare clothing items, especially shorts, please drop them into the School Office.  

Over the past few weeks we have also handed out to children a lot of our spare uniform clothing and we would appreciate it if those items could be returned to the School Office in a clean condition.  Many thanks. 

2021 FEES & DONATIONS PAID VIA KINDO

Fees have now been loaded onto KINDO.  This online system allows you to pay for our school’s fees (Mathletics/Mathseeds, Voluntary School Donation, Lost Library Book Costs etc) and is also the ONLY way to register/pay for your child for sports teams.Please Note:  Aquatics will be charged after your child’s class has had their lessons.

• 2021 Yearbook

Cut-off date for registration is 3.00pm Monday 15th November, 2021

Kindo Questions?    Kindo Helpdesk on 0508 454636 (toll free)

If access is denied, it is most likely that our school does not have your current email address recorded on your child’s file.  Please do not hesitate to contact the School Office on (07) 853-0039 to amend.

SCHOOL LUNCH ORDERS

Our school lunch programme will resume again in Term 4 starting on Monday 18th October, 2021. 

FIRST CREDIT UNION

First Credit Union’s School Banking programme will also resume in Term 4.  

STUDENTS LEAVING TE TOTARA

If you have not already notified us and are planning to leave our school at the end of 2021 (other than Year 6 students), it would be appreciated if you could please urgently advise us by emailing Marise Crow at: receptionist@tetotara.school.nz  

If you have a child coming to Te Totara in the future, we would love to have an Enrolment Form - it would be very much appreciated and certainly help with our future planning.

2021 YEARBOOK 

ORDERS THROUGH KINDO ONLY

$20.00 Early Bird price

$25.00 if ordered on or after Monday 1st November

Our wonderful school Yearbook is currently being put together, it’s a great record of the years' learning and events and includes over 100 full colour pages. Children love reading the pages and do so for many years.   Yearbook orders are placed through KINDO and close on Monday 15th November, 2021 @ 3.00pm.  Sorry, no late orders will be accepted. 

Please note:  If you have Grandparents or friends who wish to order their own copy of the Yearbook, this must be ordered through KINDO and combined with your family order.

TE TOTARA SPORTS PLAYER OF THE DAY

If you are a Coach or Manager, please email the POD to stephy@tetotara.school.nz.

None to report this week.

DATES COMING UP

Thurs 30 Sept    BOT Meeting @ 6.30pm

Fri 1 Oct    TERM 3 ENDS @ 3.00PM

Mon 18 Oct    TERM 4 BEGINS @ 8.55AM

Fri 22 Oct    Teacher Only Day - School Closed

Mon 25 Oct    Labour Day Public Holiday - School Closed

Wed 27 Oct    BOT Meeting @ 6.30pm

Tues 16 Nov    Junior “Have a Go Day”

Tues 23 Nov    Senior Athletics

Tues 23 Nov    Art Exhibition 9.00am - 10.00am

Wed 24 Nov    Art Exhibition 3.00pm - 6.30pm

Tues 30 Nov    Year 6 Leavers Supper

Thurs 2 Dec    Volunteers Thank You Morning Tea in the Staff Lounge @ 9.00am

Mon 6 Dec    RJHS Orientation Day for Enrolled (and confirmed) students 9.30am-1.30pm

Mon 6 Dec    End of Year Celebration from 6.00pm - 7.30pm 

Tues 7 Dec    Postponement Date - End of Year Celebration

Wed 8 Dec    Fairfield Cluster Athletics

Tues 14 Dec    End of Term 4 - Last day for 2021 school year

Ngā mihi, 

Anne Fraser

Principal 

TE  TOTARA PTA NEWS

EMAIL:     pta@tetotara.school.nz      www.facebook.com/TTPTA

Please ‘like’ our Facebook page to ensure you keep in the news loop: www.facebook.com/TTPTA

SPELL-A-THON FUNDRAISER: SPONSORSHIP COLLECTION

Spell-a-thon is on now! Your child should now have completed testing of their Spell-a-thon words and know how many they got correct. This score needs to be written on their sponsorship form.  The sponsorship form and all money collected must be returned, in a sealed envelope, to the Green PTA Box in the School Office by Thursday 21 st October 2021. This is the first week of Term 4. Thank you to all the students who have already returned their sponsorship money.

We know many students have already sought sponsorship from whanau and friends prior to the lockdown, and know that lockdown’s can change the financial position of many households. We ask that if someone has offered sponsorship to you, and is now in this position that you decline to accept the sponsorship. This is a fundraising event for our school but the PTA want to ensure our Community is

looked after first.

PRIZES... LEGO, LEGO and more LEGO. 

Prizes for each pod. As previously mentioned there was also a special prize for the person with the highest overall sponsorship. Due to Covid-19 we will now randomly draw this prize. Any money raised by the PTA in this Spell-a-thon will be put towards the purchase of LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Sets for our school. These LEGO SPIKE™ Sets are the go-to-STEAM learning tool. They combine colourful LEGO building elements, easy-to-use hardware, and an intuitive drag-and-drop coding language based on Scratch. Students will be able to design and build robots, dynamic devices and other interactive models. SPIKE Prime helps students learn essential STEAM and 21 st century skills needed to become the innovative minds of tomorrow...while having fun! We hope you and your family will support this fun initiative, thank you!

ENTERTAINMENT MEMBERSHIP

The FREE Upgrade from a Single City Membership to a Multi City Membership is back for a limited time!  

When you purchase a $69.99 Single City Membership, you will be upgraded to a Multi City Membership valued at $119.99 for FREE!  That’s a $50 saving and as an added extra you will get a free months membership, meaning 13 months of great savings.

Purchase your Membership using the following link and 20% of the purchase price will go back to Te Totara Primary School PTA.  Click on the below link:

https://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/orderbooks/15502m5

Your PTA committee:  Shelley, Julyan, Rilesh, Kerry & Kerri

COMMUNITY NOTICES:   

We are often asked to put Community Notices in our newsletter. Due to the large number of requests, we now have a “Community Notices” section on the notice board in the School Office, where you will find more information on the notices below. Please note that this does not necessarily imply School endorsement of these notices.

Kelly Sports flyers are available from the School Office.