Te Totara Primary School - Growing and Learning Together

SCHOOL NEWSLETTER

THURSDAY 9TH SEPTEMBER, 2021

Tena koutou everyone

A very warm welcome back to all our staff, students and families. It was fabulous to see our excited learners coming into the school grounds this morning. They were so independent and confident in the way they said goodbye at the gates and came in on their own. Self Managing Stars in action !

Thank you so much for the way you have prepared them for this Alert Level at school. The children have returned so excited to see their teachers and classmates, full of enthusiasm to return to their learning.

We have a large percentage of our students back today; 749 students on site out of a roll of 781. This is 96% of our roll which is fantastic. I am humbled by your trust in the processes that we have place.

Special thanks to our staff for the way they ‘quickly sprung into action’ with the Home Learning during our time in Lockdown. Some great learning and activities were shared during that time. Also thank you to the staff who were able to be available for our on-site learning in Alert Level 3. It was great to be together again.

We have been asked about Face Coverings or Masks in school. In terms of adults coming onto the school site the only caregivers who will be able to come in are those of our very youngest New Entrant students. (Matawhero 2, 4 and 1). It has been determined that masks must be worn by these Matawhero parents coming into our site. For these caregivers, as soon you and your child get to the pod area you must leave your child with the teaching team. In terms of our students, teachers and teacher aides mask wearing is not a requirement in the primary school setting. It remains an option for individuals and a decision for the individuals and whānau. Whatever decisions students and teachers make, it is their own to make and needs to be respected.  Where an individual chooses to use a face covering, they should supply and wear their own, and to do so safely. This option applies to younger children too. It becomes an issue if the child plays with their mask or takes it on and off. In that situation the child is much better to not have any mask than to wear one inappropriately. 

The following information on this face covering issue has been provided to schools in bulletins from the Ministry of Education on advice from the Ministry of Health:

‘This is not a requirement for staff or students in a school setting.

It remains an option for individuals and a decision for the individuals and whānau. Whatever decisions students and teachers make, it is their own to make and needs to be respected.  Where an individual chooses to use a face covering they should supply and wear their own, and to do so safely. This option applies to younger children too. Public health advice for those under six is getting children to cough and sneeze into their elbow and wash and dry their hands. The use of masks is permitted but not actively encouraged.’ 

(As you can see the wording for our guidelines in this area are directly taken from the latest Ministry of Education and Health guidelines.)

Our staff have all completed Health Surveillance Questionnaires on their health status throughout this period, we are aware of and satisfied with their locations and movements across this time. In terms of any other adults that come onto the site, masks will be required to be worn as there can be a risk associated with adults, who are moving more freely throughout the community. I will always err on the side of caution!

Thank you so much for all your understanding and support of these measures. Our students, staff and families are the most precious part of our school, we will keep you all safe in these challenging times.

Kia kaha - go well everyone.

Anne Fraser - Principal

UNWELL CHILDREN WHO NEED TO GO HOME

Our Administration team and teaching staff act in the very best interests of your child and their well-being is paramount.  When children arrive at the School Office, and depending on the situation, most of the children are offered a rest in our Wellness Room and re-assessed before a phone call home; often they return to their classroom.

We understand many of our families have work commitments however, if you are phoned by the school to collect your child from school due to illness, it would be appreciated if you could arrange for their collection as soon as possible.   For the privacy of other students, the School Office staff will collect your child from the Wellness Room when you arrive.

If your child is sick, please keep them at home until they are well.

If your child has diarrhoea or vomiting we ask that they do not return to school unless they are well and have had no further diarrhoea or vomiting for 48 hours prior to returning – these bugs can be highly contagious.    

Thank you for your assistance.

OUT-OF-ZONE ENROLMENTS PERIOD FOR 2022

Enrolment at the school is governed by an enrolment scheme, details of which are available on our school website www.tetotara.school.nz

The Board has determined that 20 places for New Entrant (Year 1) students, whose 5th Birthday falls within the enrolment period of 15th December 2021 – 30th June 2022 are likely to be available to out-of-zone students.   The exact number of places will depend on the number of applications received from students who live within the school’s home zone.

There will be two 2022 out-of-zone enrolment periods:

The First enrolment period runs from 15th December 2021 – 30th June 2022

The Second enrolment period runs from 1st July 2022 – 15th December 2022

For students seeking enrolment within the first enrolment period of 15th December 2021 - 30th June 2022, the deadline for receipt of out-of-zone applications is 3.00pm Friday 1st October, 2021 and should be addressed to:  Te Totara Primary School, PO Box 28134, Hamilton 3256

If the number of out-of-zone applications exceeds the number of places available, students will be selected by ballot supervised by a Justice of the Peace, a Practicing Lawyer or a Police Officer in accordance with Section 11G (1) of the Education Act 1989.

If a ballot for out-of-zone is required, it will be held on Friday 15th October, 2021.  Parents will be informed of the outcome by Wednesday 20th October, 2021.

FIRST CREDIT UNION, SCHOOL BANKING

First Credit Union have advised the health and safety of their members and staff remains their priority at this time and they wish to advise that they will not be restarting our school banking program in Term 4.

If parents would like to continue to save into their children’s First Credit Union accounts, contact First Credit Union directly and they would be more than happy to help you set up regular automatic payments

SCHOOL LUNCH ORDERS 

Our school lunch program will not be operating under Alert Level 2.

We are hoping to be able to order school lunches again in Term 4 starting on Monday 18th October, 2021.

We will keep you updated.

2021 FEES & DONATIONS PAID VIA KINDO

Fees have now been loaded onto KINDO.  This online system allows you to pay for our school’s fees (Mathletics/Mathseeds, Voluntary School Donation, Lost Library Book Costs etc) and is also the ONLY way to register/pay for your child for sports teams.Please Note:  Aquatics will be charged after your child’s class has had their lessons.

• Years 1-6 Touch Rugby - Term 4 only

Cut-off date for registration is 3.00pm Friday 17th Sept, 2021

Kindo Questions?    Kindo Helpdesk on 0508 454636 (toll free)

If access is denied, it is most likely that our school does not have your current email address recorded on your child’s file.  Please do not hesitate to contact the School Office on (07) 853-0039 to amend.

2022 SCHOOL TERM DATES

Term 1        Wednesday 2nd February – Term 1, 2022 Begins

(Tuesday 1st February - Teacher Only Day)

Public Holiday: Monday 7th February (Waitangi Day Holiday)

Thursday 14th April – End of Term 1 (11 weeks)

Term 2        Monday 2nd May – Friday 8th July (10 weeks)

Teacher Only Day - Friday 3rd June

Public Holidays: Monday 6th June (Queens Birthday)

Friday 24th June (Matariki Celebration)  

Term 3        Monday 25th July – Friday 30th September (10 weeks)

Our Mid-Term break - Monday 29th August

Term 4        Monday 17th October – Thursday 15th December (9 weeks)

Teacher Only Day - Friday 21st October

Public Holiday: Monday 24th October (Labour Day)

TE TOTARA SPORTS PLAYER OF THE DAY

If you are a Coach or Manager, please email the

POD to celestem@tetotara.school.nz

HOCKEY

Green        Edith Newman-Lander

Red            Max Singh,  Kirat Kaur

White            Soyun Kim

MINIBALL

Thunder        Cameron Fallon

DATES COMING UP

Wed 15 Sept        PTA Meeting - TBC 

Thurs 30 Sept        BOT Meeting @ 6.30pm

Mon 1 Oct            TERM 3 ENDS @ 3.00PM

Mon 18 Oct    TERM 4 BEGINS @ 8.55AM

Ngā mihi, 

Anne Fraser - Principal 

COMMUNITY NOTICES:   

We are often asked to put Community Notices in our newsletter. Due to the large number of requests, we now have a “Community Notices” section on the notice board in the School Office, where you will find more information on the notices below. Please note that this does not necessarily imply School endorsement of these notices.